Monday, August 31, 2015

Fiction Feature Gets Fantastical with Emily Rodda!

Ahoy readers!

            I’m here today with a very special Fiction Feature that’s close to my heart. Before I was a writer, I was an avid reader. Though I bloomed late (thought books were for nerds until 5th grade) my literary journey started with the Deltora Quest series by Emily Rodda. Her series even inspired my first work of fiction, a short story that was 10 pages over the limit for my 6th grade English assignment. Arguably, my journey into the written word began with this series.



            This iconic book fair staple intrigued young readers with its colorful covers and hooked them with Rodda’s wild and wonderful world of Deltora. I could write an essay about how much I love this series, and how the underlying meanings change with each read, but I’m here to review a wonderful surprise I stumbled upon last week!

            The Deltora series continues with several book series, including The Shadowlands and Dragons of Deltora series, both continuing the stories of our heroes. At the end of these series, our heroes get the happy ending they’ve more than earned. I thought the story had finally come to an end and happily shelved the books on my shelves and in my heart. 

            However, I recently stumbled upon another great series that takes place in Rodda’s Deltora universe. Thanks to a lucky find at my local library, I was honored to read The Three Doors Trilogy!



            “The walled city of Weld is under attack from ferocious flying creatures that raid in the night, bringing death and destruction. The Warden calls for Volunteers to find and destroy the Enemy sending invaders, and the heroes of Weld answer the call one by one, never to return. Rye is officially too young to go, but his brothers are among the lost and he must find them. What terrors await him beyond the Wall?”

            There’s the blurb that shows this series for what it is at face value. You have your reluctant hero (Rye) who has to go find his lost brothers (the quest) and who faces unknown perils and grows up along the way (coming of age.) Just like Deltora, Rodda uses her favorite fantasy quest scenario. Yet, as per Rodda’s standard, the Three Doors Trilogy brings so much more to the table with her imagination and knack for creating a world larger and more diverse than the book implies. Throughout the trilogy, you not only learn about a cast of characters in a strange land, but you also grow attached to the heroes as they explore a vast world that leaves you guessing and wondering throughout the entire story. The ending, which I refuse to spoil, is a mind-blowing revelation.

            So, who should read these books? Only Deltora fans? Definitely not! In fact, you don’t need to read any of Deltora Quest to follow what goes on in this series. You’ll have a few “aha!” moments, and you really should read DQ if you get the chance, but this series lies separately, and across an ocean, from the one written decades ago. I highly recommend these books to fantasy readers at all ages, though some of the monsters may be scary for readers in 2nd grade or below. Aside from that, all readers looking for a good tale, look no further!

            You can find The Three Doors Trilogy at any book retailer, library, or book selling website. It’s also available as an e-book series if the digital route is more your speed.

           And, if you want to reach out to the amazing Emily Rodda and learn about her other fascinating reads, you can find her website here:
                                                         Emily Rodda


            Thank you, Ms. Rodda, for giving us another wonderful story in which to get lost. You have always been, and continue to be, an inspiring role model for me and other fantasy writers. May your words, worlds, and wonders continue inspiring future readers and writers for years to come.  


And stay in tune for more updates about all things Lucid! 

Until next time, keep readin and dreamin! 

-Fred 

No comments:

Post a Comment